They are in 3 categories:
1. Going into and out of Mexico to retrieve the greyhounds. It gets more challenging every month.
2. An increased number of greyhounds at the Caliente track since Tucson closed and an increased number of broken leg dogs. Broken leg hounds now number 17 for us alone this year. They are all very expensive to repair, about $5K each. However, getting the broken leg dogs back to the states and caring for them is a very high priority for GreySave that is shared by us and the other 2 large southern CA groups that take broken dogs.
3. We also have a greater need to be supported by social media and labor saving apps. We need to move some of those activities to people who understand them and can take responsibility for their set up, maintenance and then briefing the Board.
So far here is what we have done to solve some of the issues/opportunities.
New Van in-bound - We realized that the GreySave hauler with its nice logo and dog crates was making the boarder crossing a bigger challenge every time we went. Mexico saw us as commercial and their boarder agents were freaked out about the crates. The hauler also made it harder to get back into the US as we had to use the commercial exit lanes which were slower and we often got sent to secondary. So we have ordered a used Ford Super Duty Passenger extended van. It is a returned lease vehicle with less than 40K miles. We plan to sell our Hound Hauler soon as it is a great rescue van as long as you don’t have to cross the border.
Enhanced Outreach - As to the cost of medical we have reached out to our adopters, website followers and Facebook friends for additional donations. They have been very generous and we are very grateful but we are still quite short if we plan to save as many as possible from a potentially unhappy fate. So we need to reach out to people who don’t even know who we are today!
A technical advisory team and a few more great social media applications –
- We need a person or persons who can help by answering our technical questions about Google for work, Weebly, Paypal, Mailchimp, Stripe.
- We need to find and set up a contact/donor application system and includes a good and flexible thank you system. We need a knowledgeable person to setup and train or maintain this software. We would expect this contact/donor software to link to Quickbooks and Paypal and be downloadable to Excel or CSV.
- We need some help from people experienced with funding sources e.g.: finding and following up with corporate donors either through their employees or separately. We need to spread out our donation base.
If you are someone who has the knowledge and skills and wants to work with us please call Cathy at 626-354-8476 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org