HEALTH-GREYHOUNDS ARE DIFFERENT: Poisons - Toxins - Metabolism
Greyhounds on the track often have only 2-3% body fat. Even at pet weight in our homes, they have a much higher percentage of muscle than the average dog. Muscle absorbs toxins more easily than fat does. That is one reason why Greyhounds are more sensitive to anesthesia and other medications. That also means that they are more sensitive to poisons in our homes.
It’s important to “puppy proof” your home in much the same way you would childproof your home when a toddler is present. Becoming familiar with the following could save your dog’s life.
Also read these first hand experiences from GreySave owners who have had their Greyhounds get into poisonous substances.
Helping a Poisoned Dog
PetEducation.com has a section on Dog First Aid that discusses what to do if your dog should ingest a wide variety of toxic substances.
This website offers a lot of information and advice: What to do if your animal has been poisoned.
People Foods to Avoid
Nutrition experts at the ASPCA have put together a handy list of the top toxic people foods to avoid feeding your pet. As always, if you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian immediately.
National Poison Control Hotlines
You can call the groups below for help if you think your dog has encountered a poison. Note the charges for your calls.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
The telephone number is (888) 426-4435. There is a $65 consultation fee for this service.
National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC)
1-900-680-0000. $45 per case, billed to your phone.
NAPCC notes: "A dog is not a 4-legged human. The NAPCC staff is all veterinary health professionals who have been trained in animal toxicology. Because of their training, they are prepared to deal with the complexities of a poisoned dog. Assistance is provided to both veterinarians and pet owners. The center is staffed around the clock by veterinary professionals. In the case of certain chemical exposures, the manufacture of the chemical/product may pay the caller's NAPCC charges. NAPCC will make follow-up call(s) as needed. Watch for any changes in color (skin and in mouth) and respiration, excessive salivation or dryness, diarrhea, heaving, vomiting, extreme restlessness or lethargy. Do NOT try to induce vomiting or ingestion without first consulting a veterinarian or poison control center."
Signs of Poisoning
Pawing at the ears (indicates a ringing sound), eyes, or mouth. Watering eyes and/or nose. Increased thirst and salivation frequent swallowing. Dry mouth, numbness of tissues or pale tissues, dilated pupils, blurred vision (bumping into objects).
Emergency First-Aid Kit
The ASPCA recommends that you assemble the following kit in case your dog encounters poison:
If Your Dog is Poisoned
• 10 Tips for Preventing Poisoning in your pet - Dr. Jill A. Richardson, DVM
Things for dog owners NOT to put in the garden:
Cocoa mulch – highly toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shell mulch products have an attractive odor and smell. Some dogs will eat large amounts of the mulch.
Pesticides –not safe for greyhounds. Snail bait is very enticing to dogs, looks like kibble, and is a common poison problem seen at veterinary offices. See the article on Snail bait and Jake, Our "Forever Great"
Herbicides –including “Weed & Feed” type fertilizers.
Plants with thorns or spikes - palms, roses, bougainvillea, cactus plants. Keep these fenced off or pruned well to prevent injury.